At Hallam Primary School we have designed our English curriculum with the intent that all children, regardless of background, will become fluent, insightful readers and technically skilled, creative writers. Our children will engage with a range of genres and develop their understanding of fiction and non-fiction styles. Furthermore, we have developed a curriculum that will instil in all children a love of reading and writing that we hope will stay with them for life. We understand that a good grasp of English is the bedrock of the entire curriculum and that children who are confident and adept readers and writers will be empowered to succeed in all other areas. We understand, too, the vital role played by parents and carers in the development of reading and writing and in the nurturing of positive habits, particularly in attitudes towards reading. We welcome this and value their contribution.
We will deliver an English Curriculum that:
- Develops in all children a love of reading, writing and the dramatic arts.
- Nurtures in all children the ability to express themselves clearly – verbally and in writing; to develop their word choice when speaking and to encourage accurate grammar when speaking in order to aid self-expression.
- Allows children to comprehend and critique what they read, and to write creatively and accurately regardless of genre or topic.
- Encourages children to be reflective, motivated and resilient learners.
- Offers a rich variety of experiences, inside and outside of the classroom.